Super Quick Chunky Tomato Sauce
Make batches of this tasty sauce to go with a number of recipes in this cookbook.
PREP TIME :
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped (about 1 clove)
- 1 jar (12 oz) roasted red peppers, drained and diced (or substitute fresh roasted red peppers; see tip)
- 2 cans (14½ oz each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 can (5½ oz) low-sodium tomato juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil and garlic over medium heat. Cook until soft, but not browned (for about 30 seconds).
- Add diced red peppers, and continue to cook for 2–3 minutes, until the peppers begin to sizzle.
- Add tomatoes, tomato juice, basil, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens slightly. (Sauce can be pureed for picky eaters.)
- Use immediately. Or, refrigerate in a tightly sealed container for 3–5 days or freeze for 1–2 months.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 31, Total fat 1 g, Saturated fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 76 mg, Total fiber 1 g, Protein 1 g, Carbohydrates 4 g, Potassium 66 mg, Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 2%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.