Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole
PREP TIME :
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 apple, with its skin; sliced (Granny Smith apples taste good in this recipe; however, most any apple except Red Delicious will work in a baked dish)
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries or raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease or spray with nonstick cooking spray a 1-½ quart casserole dish.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, mix together the orange juice, brown sugar, margarine, cinnamon and dried cranberries or raisins. Heat and continue to stir until the sugar is dissolved and the margarine is melted.
- In a large bowl, mix together the potatoes, apples and orange juice mixture.
- Transfer to a casserole dish.
- Bake, covered, for one hour or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir the mixture before serving to coat the sweet potatoes and apples with the juices accumulated at the bottom.
Nutrition (per serving):
181 calories, 10 g protein, 20 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 12 g fat, 7 g saturated fat, 500 mg sodium