Sweet Potato Chili with Peanuts
This vegetarian one-pot meal will warm you up on even the coldest of winter days. Earthy sweet potatoes and carrots form the base and provide cancer-fighting fiber and carotenoids. Tomatoes, peppers and onion add even more flavor and nutrition.
PREP TIME :
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks (about 4 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted roasted peanuts
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in juice
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) diced mild green chiles with liquid
- 4 to 6 Tbsp. chili powder, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the canola oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and bell peppers and sauté, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes, until vegetables are golden. Add the garlic and sauté stirring constantly for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Stir in the sweet potatoes, peanuts, tomatoes and juice, tomato paste, chiles and their liquid, chili powder, cumin and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low immediately and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 25 minutes until the sweet potatoes are just tender. Halfway through the cooking process, adjust the seasonings, adding more chili powder and cumin, if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Nutrition (per serving):
385 calories, 15 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 55 g carbohydrate, 11 g protein, 8 g dietary fiber, 409 mg sodium.