Thai Style Chicken Curry
Classic Thai flavors blend together beautifully in this delicious curry; add more
green curry paste for a spicy kick
PREP TIME :
- 1 Tbsp peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp ginger, minced (or a 1-inch piece, crushed)
- ½ Tbsp garlic, minced (about 1 clove)
- ¼ C scallions (green onions), rinsed and chopped
- 1 Tbsp lemongrass, minced (or the zest from 1 lemon: Use a peeler to grate a thin layer of skin off a lemon)
- 1 Tbsp Thai green curry paste
- ½ C light coconut milk (or use a spoon to discard visible layer of fat off the top of an unshaken can of regular coconut milk; then, measure ½ C for recipe)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp lite soy sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ C low-sodium chicken broth
For chicken and vegetables:
- 1 bag (12 oz) frozen vegetable stir-fry
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- Thaw frozen vegetables in the microwave (or place entire bag in a bowl of hot water for about 10 minutes). Set aside until step 7.
- For sauce, heat oil in a small saucepan on medium heat. Add ginger, garlic, scallions, and lemongrass, and cook gently until tender, but not brown, about 2–3
- Add curry paste, and cook for an additional 2–3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, honey, soy sauce, and fish sauce, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- In a bowl, mix cornstarch with chicken broth. Add mixture to the saucepan, and return to a boil while stirring constantly.
- Lower heat to a simmer, and add chicken strips. Simmer gently for 5–8 minutes.
- Add thawed vegetables, and continue to cook gently with lid on until the vegetables are heated through, an additional 2–3 minutes.
- Divide into four even portions, each about 3 ounces chicken breast and 1 cup vegetables, and serve.
- Tip: Delicious served over rice or Asian-style noodles
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 207, Total fat 7 g, Saturated fat 3 g, Cholesterol 50 mg, Sodium 249 mg, Total fiber 3 g, Protein 23 g, Carbohydrates 14 g, Potassium 406 mg