Tuna and Avocado Cobb Salad
Not just a salad, but a delicious meal—try serving with crusty whole-grain bread.
PREP TIME :
- 4 C red leaf lettuce, rinsed and chopped (about 8 leaves)
- 1 C frozen whole kernel corn, roasted (on a pan in the oven or toaster oven at 400 °F for 7–10 minutes)
- 1 C carrots, shredded
- 1 tomato, rinsed, halved and sliced
- ½ ripe avocado, peeled and sliced*
- 1 C frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 can (6 oz) canned white albacore tuna in water
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice (or about 1 fresh lemon)
- 1 Tbsp lime juice (or about 1 fresh lime)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, rinsed, dried, and minced (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Divide and arrange 2 cups of salad ingredients in each of 4 serving bowls.
- For dressing, combine all ingredients and mix well. Spoon 2 tablespoons over each salad, and serve.
- Tip: Look for an avocado that is slightly firm, but soft enough to be gently squeezed. For a description of how to peel and cut an avocado, see the Healthy Eating FAQs in Cooking Resources.
* Use the other half of the avocado for the Quinoa-Stuffed Tomatoes.
- Note: Four ounces of fresh grilled tuna steaks, salmon, or shrimp can be substituted for the albacore tuna. For cooking instructions for fresh fish and shellfish, see basic cooking instructions.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 224, Total fat 9 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 18 mg, Sodium 264 mg, Total fiber 6 g, Protein 15 g, Carbohydrates 24 g, Potassium 557 mg, Vitamin A 200%, Vitamin C 50%, Calcium 6%, Iron 10%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.