Red White and Green Grilled Cheese
So good, your children might not even notice the “green stuff”.
PREP TIME :
- 1 tsp garlic, minced (about ½ clove)
- 1 small onion, minced (about ½ cup)
- 2 C frozen cut spinach, thawed and drained (or substitute 2 bags (10 oz each) fresh leaf spinach, rinsed)
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread
- 1 medium tomato, rinsed, cut into 4 slices
- 1 C shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. Place a large baking sheet in the oven to preheat for about 10 minutes.
- Heat garlic with cooking spray in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Cook until soft, but not browned. Add onions, and continue to cook until the onions are soft, but not browned.
- Add spinach, and toss gently. Cook until the spinach is heated throughout. Season with pepper, and set aside to cool.
- When the spinach and onions are cool, assemble each sandwich with one slice of bread on the bottom, one tomato slice, ½ cup of spinach mixture, ¼ cup of cheese, and a second slice of bread on the top. (For picky eaters, see Healthy Eating Two Ways suggestion below.
- Spray the preheated nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the sandwiches on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the bottom of each sandwich is browned.
- Carefully flip sandwiches, and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until both sides are browned. Serve immediately.
- For picky eaters, start with less spinach in the sandwich, and possibly serve the remaining amount on the side.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 254, Total fat 8 g, Saturated fat 4 g, Cholesterol 18 mg, Sodium 468 mg, Total fiber 6 g, Protein 17 g, Carbohydrates 29 g, Potassium 364 mg, Vitamin A 130%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 35%, Iron 15%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.