Black Skillet Beef With Greens and Red Potatoes
A heart healthy one-dish meal that is made with lean top round beef, lots of
vegetables, and a spicy herb mixture.
PREP TIME :
- 1 lb top round beef, sliced into long strips ⅛-inch thick and 3 inches wide
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper
- ⅛ tsp dry mustard
- 8 red-skinned potatoes, halved
- 3 C finely chopped onion
- 2 C beef broth
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, peeled, cut into very thin 2½-inch strips
- 2 bunches (½ lb each) mustard greens, kale, or turnip greens, stems removed, coarsely torn
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Combine paprika, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, ground black pepper crushed red pepper, and dry mustard in a bowl.
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over high heat.
- Coat strips of meat with the spice mixture and add them to the preheated skillet. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, onion, beef broth, and garlic. Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Stir in carrots, lay greens over top, and cook, covered, until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Serve in a large serving bowl, with crusty bread for dunking.
Tip: Partially freeze the beef first (30 to 60 minutes in the freezer) to make it easier to slice into thin strips. Cut across the grain for more tender bite.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 342, Total fat 4 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 45 mg, Sodium 101 mg.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.