Buttons and Bows Pasta
This light and lemon-y meal is a refreshing change to the same old pasta.
PREP TIME :
- 2 C dry whole-wheat bowtie pasta (farfalle) (8 oz)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic, minced (about 1 clove)
- 1 bag (16 oz) frozen peas and carrots
- 2 C low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 medium lemon, rinsed, for
- 1 tsp zest (use a grater to take a thin layer of skin off the lemon)
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add pasta, and cook according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil and garlic over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Cook until soft, but not browned.
- Add peas and carrots. Cook gently until the vegetables are heated through.
- In a bowl, combine chicken broth and cornstarch. Mix well. Add to pan with vegetables, and bring to a boil. Simmer gently for 1 minute.
- Add parsley, pasta, lemon zest, and pepper. Toss gently, and cook until the pasta is hot.
- Serve 2 cups of pasta and vegetables per portion.
Note: Substitute cooking spray for olive oil and save calories and fat.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 329, Total fat 6 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 127 mg, Total fiber 9 g, Protein 13 g, Carbohydrates 59 g, Potassium 331 mg, Vitamin A 220%, Vitamin C 25%, Calcium 6%, Iron 10%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.