Classic Macaroni and Cheese
This recipe proves you don’t have to give up your favorite dishes to eat heart
healthy meals—here’s a lower fat version of a true classic.
PREP TIME :
- 2 C macaroni
- ½ C onion, chopped
- ½ C fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1¼ C (4 oz) low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- Cooking spray
- Cook macaroni according to package directions—but do not add salt to the cooking water. Drain and set aside.
- Spray casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Lightly spray saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Add onion to saucepan and sauté for about 3 minutes over medium heat.
- In a bowl, combine macaroni, onion, and the remaining ingredients, and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer mixture into casserole dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Tip: Pairs nicely with steamed broccoli and garlic.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 200, Total fat 4 g, Saturated fat 2 g, Cholesterol 34 mg, Sodium 120 mg, Total fiber 1 g, Protein 11 g, Carbohydrates 29 g, Potassium 119 mg.