Cold Fusilli Pasta With Summer Vegetables
A whole new twist on pasta salad!
PREP TIME :
- 8 oz whole-wheat fusilli (spiral) pasta
- 2 C cherry tomatoes, rinsed and halved
- 1 large green bell pepper, rinsed and sliced in pieces ¼ inch wide by 2 inches long
- ½ C red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, rinsed and shredded finely or sliced into small chunks (about 1 C)
- 1 can (15½ oz) low-sodium chickpeas (or garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, rinsed, dried, and cut into thin strips (or 1 tsp dried)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ C shredded parmesan cheese
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add pasta, and cook according to package directions for the shortest recommended time, about 8–9 minutes. Drain. Rinse pasta under cold running water to cool, about 3 minutes.
- Place all the vegetables and beans in a large salad serving bowl. Season with basil, salt, and pepper.
- Add the cooled pasta.
- Combine olive oil and vinegar in a small bowl.Mix until completely blended.Pour over vegetables and pasta. Mix gently until well coated.
- Divide into four equal portions. Top each with 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese.
Tip: If you can’t find beans labeled “low-sodium” compare the Nutrition Facts panels to find the beans with the lowest amount of sodium. Rinsing can help further reduce the sodium level.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 418, Total fat 11 g, Saturated fat 3 g, Cholesterol 10 mg, Sodium 455 mg, Total fiber 13 g, Protein 21 g, Carbohydrates 63 g, Potassium 576 mg