Caribbean Pink Beans
This dish stays healthy by using beans prepared without lard or other fat
PREP TIME :
- 1 lb dried pink beans
- 2 medium plantains, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 1½ Tbsp garlic, minced (about 3 cloves)
- 1½ tsp salt
- Rinse and pick through beans for rocks and other debris (discard these). Put beans in a large pot, and add 10 cups of water. Place pot in refrigerator, and allow beans to soak overnight.
- Place the soaked and drained beans in a large pot with enough water to cover them by about 1 inch. Boil gently with lid tilted until beans are soft, about 1 hour. Add more water while beans are cooking if water level drops below the top of the beans.
- Add plantains, tomato, red pepper, onion, garlic, and salt. Continue cooking at low heat until plantains are soft.
- Serve warm.
Tip: Try serving with a whole grain, such as Quinoa With Paprika and Cumin.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 133, Total fat 0 g, Saturated fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 205 mg, Total fiber 5 g, Protein 6 g, Carbohydrates 28 g, Potassium 495 mg