Chayotes Stuffed With Cheese
A tasty and heart healthy meal-in-a-shell.
PREP TIME :
1 HOUR 30 MINS
- 6 small chayote squash (christophine), cut in half, lengthwise
- 2 quarts water
- 1 C low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp margarine
- ½ C plain breadcrumbs
- Wash chayotes and bring to a boil in water. Cover and simmer over moderate heat for about 1 hour, or until fork-tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Drain chayotes, and remove the cores and fibrous part under cores. Use a spoon to scoop out the pulp, being careful not to break the shells (leave shells about an eighth of an inch thick or slightly thicker). Place shells on a cookie sheet.
- Immediately mash pulp and mix with cheese, salt, and margarine.
- Stuff shells with the mixture, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 129, Total fat 6 g, Saturated fat 2 g, Cholesterol 11 mg, Sodium 276 mg, Calcium 163 mg, Iron 1 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.