Corn and Black Bean Burritos
These burritos are high in flavor and easy to make
PREP TIME :
- ¼ C scallions (green onions), rinsed and sliced into ¼-inch wide circles, including green tops
- ¼ C celery, rinsed and finely diced
- 1¼ C frozen yellow corn
- ½ ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped (or substitute 2 tsp dried coriander)
- 1 can (15½ oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ C reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ C salsa or taco sauce (look for lowest sodium version)
- 12 (9-inch) whole- wheat tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Combine scallions, celery, and corn in a small saucepan. Add just enough water to cover.
- Cover, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes, until vegetables soften. Drain vegetables. Set aside to cool.
- Combine avocado, cilantro, and beans in a large mixing bowl. Add cheese and salsa, and mix.
- When corn mixture has cooled slightly, add to avocado mixture.
- In a large nonstick pan over medium heat, warm each tortilla about 15 seconds on each side. Place each tortilla on a flat surface. Spoon ⅓ cup of the mixture into the center of the tortilla. Fold the top and bottom of the tortilla over the filling. Fold in the sides to make a closed packet.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- When all tortillas are wrapped, continue heating in the oven 5 minutes, until all are warm and cheese is melted.
Tip: Try serving with extra salsa on the side.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 189, Total fat 3 g, Saturated fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 257 mg, Total fiber 3 g, Protein 8 g, Carbohydrates 34 g, Potassium 204 mg