Chicken Chile Stew
The ultimate comfort food, with lower saturated fat and cholesterol.
PREP TIME :
1 HOUR 45 MINS
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 lb boneless, skinless chicken (breast or leg), cubed
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 7 green chilies, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Spray a heavy iron skillet with cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat. Brown the chicken cubes, in batches, with cooking spray as needed.
- Place the meat in a 3- or 4-quart casserole (with cover), and add the remaining ingredients.
- Deglaze the skillet: On high heat, add some cold water and scrape the hardened juices with a spoon or spatula to dissolve them into the water. Add the sauce to the casserole.
- Add water to barely cover the ingredients. Cover the casserole, and simmer until the stew is thick and the meat is very tender, about 1½ hours.
- Add black pepper to taste before serving.
Tip: This recipe is lower in saturated fat and cholesterol because it is made with skinless chicken, flavored with vegetables and seasonings, and cooked slowly in water (moist heat).
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 189,Total fat 5 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 82 mg, Sodium 90 mg, Total fiber 1 g, Protein 30 g, Carbohydrates 5 g.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.