Chicken and Spanish Rice
A delicious one-pot meal the whole family will love.
PREP TIME :
- 1 C chopped onion
- ¾ C green bell pepper, rinsed, seeded, and cubed
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce (see tip below)
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1¼ tsp minced garlic
- 5 C cooked brown rice (cooked in unsalted water)
- 3½ C cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion and green pepper in oil for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add tomato sauce and spices. Heat through.
- Add cooked rice and chicken. Heat through, and serve.
Tip: To reduce sodium, use one 4-oz can of low-sodium tomato sauce and one 4-oz can of regular tomato sauce. New sodium content for each serving is 215 mg.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 428, Total fat 8 g, Saturated fat 2 g, Cholesterol 80 mg, Sodium 341 mg, Total fiber 8 g, Protein 35 g, Carbohydrates 52 g, Potassium 545 mg, Calcium 50 mg, Magnesium 122 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.