This zesty one-pot meal is easy to throw together on a busy weeknight.
PREP TIME :
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1½ Tbsp garlic, mashed (about 3 cloves)
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- ⅓ C no-salt-added tomato sauce
- ⅓ C low-sodium chicken broth
- ⅓ C lemon juice
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- ⅓ C water
- ¼ C golden seedless raisins
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or substitute 1 tsp dried coriander)
- 1 Tbsp capers, drained
- 2 Tbsp green olives, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers, and garlic, and sauté until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, and stir fry for another 5–10 minutes until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, lemon juice, cumin, bay leaves, water, and raisins to the vegetables and chicken.
- Cover the pan, and reduce the heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves, and garnish with fresh cilantro, capers, and green olives, and serve.
Tip: Serve with brown rice and black beans.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 162, Total fat 5 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 46 mg, Sodium 133 mg, Total fiber 2 g, Protein 18 g, Carbohydrates 13 g, Potassium 380 mg.