Chilled Fruit Soup
This cool blended soup of melon, apples, grapes and strawberries captures the fresh flavors of summer and packs a variety of cancer-protective compounds.
PREP TIME :
- 2½ cups diced ripe cantaloupe, about 1/2 melon
- 2 Braeburn or Gala apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup green grapes
- 1/2 lb. strawberries, halved, or 1/2 of 10 oz. package frozen strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, for garnish
- 1 cup fresh raspberries, for garnish
- 12 mint leaves, cut crosswise into thin strips for garnish
- In large saucepan, combine melon, apples, grapes, strawberries, sugar and lemon juice.
- Add 3 cups water. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until fruit is very soft, 12-15 minutes. Uncover and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Transfer contents of pot to blender. Wrap dishtowel around top of blender. Firmly pressing down blender lid, whirl soup until smooth. It will look creamy. Doing this in 2 batches may be necessary.
- Pour soup into 1 large or 2 medium jars and let sit at room temperature until lukewarm. Refrigerate soup until well chilled, 6 hours to overnight. Just before serving, shake jar vigorously.
- Divide soup among 6 wide, shallow bowls. For garnish, divide blueberries, raspberries and mint among the bowls. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving):
140 calories, 0.5 g total fat (0 g saturated fat),
36 g carbohydrate, 2 g protein, 5 g dietary fiber, 15 mg sodium.