Classic Honey Flan
A heart healthy twist to a classic dessert
PREP TIME :
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 large egg
- ½ C egg substitute
- 1½ C fat- free (skim) milk
- ¼ C plus 3 Tbsp honey, divided
- ½ tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325 °F. Spray four ovenproof custard cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare the water bath: Bring water to boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl combine the whole egg, egg substitute, milk, ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon of honey, grated lemon zest, and vanilla. Beat until mixed, but not foamy.
- In a separate bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of honey and cinnamon, and mix to blend well.
- Place the custard cups in a baking dish that is large enough to accommodate them plus the water bath. Spoon ½ tablespoon of honey and cinnamon into each custard cup. Divide the egg mixture equally into each custard cup.
- Place the baking dish on the middle rack in the oven and pour the boiling water into the baking dish to a depth of 1 inch, taking care not to let the water splash into the flan. Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife blade comes out clean when inserted.
- Serve warm or cold. Before serving, loosen the edges with a knife or spatula and invert onto individual dessert plates.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 199, Total fat 2 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 55 mg, Sodium 114 mg, Total fiber 0 g, Protein 8 g, Carbohydrates 40 g, Potassium 235 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.