Cranberry Apple Salsa
This classic raw relish combines fresh cranberries, Fuji apple, lime juice and spicy jalapeño. Its sweetness means remarkably little sugar is needed to offset the tartness of the cranberries.
PREP TIME :
- 1 bag (12 oz.) fresh cranberries, or frozen, unsweetened
- 1/2 medium Fuji apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 strips (1-inch x 1/2-inch) lime zest, coarsely chopped
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, without seeds, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. turbinado/raw sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- In food processor, pulse cranberries just until coarsely chopped. Add apple, onion, lime zest, jalapeño, sugar and lime juice. Pulse (quick pulses) until salsa is still slightly chunky, about 15-20 times.
- Add cilantro and pulse until it is chopped but not mushy, about 10 times, stopping to scrape down bowl as needed. Season with a bit of salt, just to lift flavors.
- Let salsa sit 20 minutes for flavors to marry. Serve same day.
Nutrition (per serving):
36 calories, 0 g total fat (0 g saturated fat),
9 g carbohydrate, 0 g protein, 1.5 g dietary fiber, 2 mg sodium.