This beautifully light version of traditional gingerbread uses whole-wheat pastry flour to add fiber, vitamins and phytochemicals that regular white flour lacks.
PREP TIME :
- Canola oil spray
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup dark unsulfured molasses
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 6 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat 9-inch square pan with canola oil spray. In medium bowl, sift together flour, sugar, spices, baking soda and salt.
- In separate, large bowl, whisk together molasses, applesauce, canola oil, and egg until well blended. Add dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Whisk in boiling water and pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, until the cake begins to pull away from the pan and a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 30 minutes. Invert cake onto platter and cool for about 15 minutes before serving.
- Cut into 9 squares and serve warm. For storage, wrap tightly in foil and keep in fridge for up to 3 days.
Nutrition (per serving):
245 calories, 10 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 37 g carbohydrate,
4 g protein, 3 g fiber, 357 mg sodium.