Golden Beet Veggie Balls with Almond Sage Cranberry Crema (Vegan)
Boost the delicious and the health potential of your holiday meals with more plant foods! Try making a plant-based entrée like these veggie “meatballs”, filled with the goodness of beans, grains, vegetables, and herbs.
PREP TIME :
- 1 bunch fresh golden beets (about 5)
- 1 (15-oz) can cannellini beans, rinsed drained (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (may use gluten-free)
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp tarragon
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced
Almond Sage Cranberry Crema:
- 1 cup peeled, slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup plain, unsweetened plant milk (i.e. soy, almond)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- Sea salt (to taste, optional)
- 1 Tbsp fresh, chopped sage leaves
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
To make Veggie Balls:
- Trim beets and scrub outside surface, leaving peels on. Shred beets with food processor or box grater.
- Place beans in a mixing bowl and mash slightly with a potato masher to achieve a thick mixture with some lumps.
- Add beets, onions, garlic, mushrooms, parsley, hazelnuts, flax seeds, breadcrumbs, sage, tarragon, thyme, smoked paprika, and black pepper. Toss together well.
- Mix in soy sauce, tahini, and lemon juice—using hands to combine well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Form 24 golf ball-sized balls out of the mixture and place evenly on baking sheet.
- Bake veggie balls in top rack of oven for about 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- 9. Serve with Almond Sage Cranberry Crema.
- Makes 8 servings (3 veggie-balls each)
- Soak almonds in water for 2 hours (or overnight).
- Drain water and place soaked almonds in the container of a blender or food processor.
- Add plant milk, lemon juice, garlic, black pepper, and ground sage and process to make a thick, creamy dip.
- Transfer crema to a dish and stir in fresh sage, cranberries, and salt if desired. May garnish with additional freshly ground black pepper and fresh sage.
Nutrition (per serving):
280 calories, 15 g total fat (1 g saturated fat),
28 g carbohydrate, 12 g protein, 58 g fiber, 220 mg sodium.