Try something new this year and make your own hummus. Made from five simple ingredients, its name in Arabic literally translates to “chickpeas.”
PREP TIME :
- 2 (15-oz.) cans no-salt-added chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 5 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. reserved chickpea liquid
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Paprika or parsley sprigs for garnish, optional
- Place all ingredients except salt and optional garnish in food processor.
- Process until mixture is coarsely puréed. Add salt to taste.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- Garnish with a dash of paprika or parsley sprigs.
Nutrition (per serving):
144 calories, 7 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 16 g carbohydrate,
6 g protein, 5 g dietary fiber, 13 mg sodium.