Grilled Scallops and Radicchio
This year, ditch the red and processed meat and serve up a summer seafood dish. Scallops are rich in protein and only take about 5 minutes to cook on the grill. Plus, cutting down on red and processed meat can help you lower your risk for colon cancer.
PREP TIME :
- 1 large lime
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large head radicchio, about 3/4 lb.
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 12 dry sea scallops, about 3/4 pound
- 8 (6-8-inch) bamboo skewers
- Grate zest from lime into small bowl and set aside. Squeeze juice from lime into another bowl, about 2 tablespoons. Whisk in 1/2 teaspoon of the salt until dissolved. Add 3-4 grinds pepper. Whisk in oil. Set Lime Vinaigrette aside.
- Prepare outdoor grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat. Or, set a grill pan over high heat until water flicked on it bounces. Reduce heat to medium-high.
- Halve radicchio vertically. Cut each half into 6 wedges, keeping a triangle of white core at the base of each wedge. Spray wedges on both sides with cooking spray, and sprinkle with remaining salt. Using tongs, arrange wedges directly on grill rack or pan until wedges are browned on bottom, with darker areas, 2 minutes. Turn, keeping wedges as much together as possible, and grill until partially collapsed and limp, 1-2 minutes. Divide radicchio among 4 dinner plates.
- Line up 3 scallops on work surface. Thread two skewers through sides of scallops, spacing skewers 1/2-inch apart. Repeat with remaining scallops. Coat scallops with cooking spray. Set scallops directly on grill rack and cook, turning once, just until opaque in center when checked with knife, 5 minutes in all. Immediately place scallops on plates along with radicchio, remove skewers and spoon lime vinaigrette over scallops and radicchio. Garnish radicchio with lime zest and serve.
Nutrition (per serving):
129 calories, 4 g total fat, (<1 g saturated fat), 8 g carbohydrate, 16 g protein, 1 g dietary fiber, 626 mg sodium.