Wasabi-Crusted Cod with Ponzu Sauce
If you’re looking for an elegant, healthy dinner, this fresh fish dish is for you. Featuring spicy wasabi and crunchy sesame, it’s the best way to enjoy protein-rich cod.
PREP TIME :
- 1 Tbsp. wasabi powder (not paste)
- 1 lb. fresh cod fillet, cut into 4 pieces
- Ponzu Sauce (recipe)
- 3 Tbsp. whole-wheat panko
- 2 tsp. black sesame seeds
- 2 tsp. white sesame seeds
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In small bowl, mix wasabi powder with 2 teaspoons water and set aside.
- Place cod in wide, shallow bowl. Reserving 1 teaspoon for vinaigrette, pour Ponzu Sauce over fish. Turn cod to coat all sides. Marinate cod at room temperature for 6 minutes, turning pieces after 3 minutes.
- For coating, in wide, shallow dish, combine panko, black and white sesame seeds and salt. With your fingers, smear wasabi paste over top of cod. Place cod wasabi side down in panko coating, taking care to coat evenly.
- In medium cast iron skillet or other pan that can go into oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add cod coated side down to pan and cook until topping is golden brown, about 1 minute. With pancake turner, turn cod over. Slide pan with cod into oven and cook 5 to 8 minutes or until cod is just opaque in center at thickest part.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving):
161 calories, 6 g total fat ( 4 g carbohydrate, 21 g protein, 1 g dietary fiber, 167 mg sodium.