Lots of flavor and veggies, plus low-fat meats! A green salad makes a nice side
PREP TIME :
1 HOUR 15 MINS
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 14 oz low-fat turkey kielbasa
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 medium celery stalk, chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14½ oz) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1½ C uncooked brown rice
- 4 C water
- 2 cubes low-sodium chicken bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Wash chicken and pat dry. Cut the chicken breast and kielbasa into 1-inch chunks.
- Spray a medium-sized pot with nonstick cooking spray. Brown the chicken and kielbasa over medium heat and remove from the pot.
- Add next 6 ingredients to the same pot, and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Return the cooked meat to the pot; add the brown rice, water, bouillon, bay leaf, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and let simmer for about 50 minutes, or until the water is evaporated (instant brown rice will take less time to cook).
- Stir in parsley and serve warm.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 250, Total fat 4 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 53 mg, Sodium 531 mg, Total fiber 5 g, Protein 22 g, Carbohydrates 31 g, Potassium 427 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.