Make Your Own Turkey Burger
Let family members help prepare the meal by choosing their own burger
PREP TIME :
- 12 oz 99 percent lean ground turkey
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 C fresh tomatoes, rinsed and diced (or canned no-salt- added diced tomatoes)
- 1 C red onions,diced
- 1 C white mushrooms, rinsed and sliced
- 1 C part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Arrange burger ingredients (tomatoes, red onions, mushrooms, and mozzarella cheese) in separate bowls.
- Ask each person to select ¼ cup total of his or her choice of ingredients. (You may have leftover ingredients after this step—keep or freeze for use in other recipes!)
- Divide ground turkey into four parts on a plate.
- Ask each person to combine his or her ¼ cup of burger ingredients with one portion of ground turkey and mix well to form a patty ½-inch to ¾-inch thick.
- Brown burgers on a nonstick pan coated with cooking spray for 2–3 minutes on each side. Then, transfer burgers to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray and place in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes (to a minimum internal temperature of 165 °F).
- Assemble burgers on buns, and serve.
Note: Nutritional information may vary depending on selection of ingredients.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 308, Total fat 8 g, Saturated fat 3 g, Cholesterol 52 mg, Sodium 230 mg, Total fiber 4 g, Protein 33 g, Carbohydrates 30 g, Potassium 432 mg, Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 20%, Calcium 4%, Iron 15%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.