Kasha With Bell Pepper Confetti
Kasha, also known as buckwheat, is a nutty, fast-cooking whole grain that adds
flavor to any meal
PREP TIME :
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ C onion, diced
- ¼ C red bell pepper, rinsed and diced
- ¼ C green bell pepper, rinsed and diced
- ¼ C yellow bell pepper, rinsed and diced
- 1 can (14½ oz) low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ C kasha
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add bell peppers to saucepan. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
- Add chicken broth to saucepan. Cover. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in kasha. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until kasha is cooked and liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in peppers and onion mixture, oregano, salt, and pepper. Heat for 1 minute. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 144, Total fat 3 g, Saturated fat .5 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 303 mg, Total fiber 4 g, Protein 4 g, Carbohydrates 27 g, Potassium 180 mg