Lemon and Garlic Pasta With Pan-Seared Scallops
For a delicious and quick meal, this pasta and scallops dish will hit the spot.
PREP TIME :
- 1 large lemon, grated for zest (and freshly squeezed for 2 Tbsp lemon juice)
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced or pressed (about 2–3 cloves)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided into two 1-Tbsp portions
- 16 large sea scallops (about 1 lb)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 8 oz very thin spaghetti (vermicelli or angel hair)
- 2 Tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over high heat. When the water boils, reduce heat to simmer until you’re ready to cook the pasta (step 5).
- While the water is heating up, use a grater to take off small peels of the skin of one lemon into a small saucepan. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the pan and remove pits. Use the back of a large spoon to press the inside of the lemon to extract more juice. Add the garlic and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to the saucepan. Stir to blend well. Place on stovetop on low heat.
- Heat a large nonstick pan or grill pan on high temperature until very hot. Sprinkle the scallops with salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.Toss to coat well.
- Place the scallops in the hot pan.Cook about 4 minutes on each side, or until scallops are well browned and firm and milky white to the center (to a minimum internal temperature of 145 °F).
- After turning the scallops to the second side, drop the pasta into the boiling water. Set temperature on medium, and cook for 2 minutes or the shortest recommended time according to package directions.
- When the pasta is done, set aside ½ cup of the cooking water. Drain the pasta. Return drained pasta to the pot, and toss with the warm olive oil mixture and the ½ cup reserved pasta water.
- Divide the pasta equally among four plates (about 1 cup per plate). Top each with four scallops.
- Garnish each dish with ½ tablespoon of shredded parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Tip: Delicious with a side of Baby Spinach With Golden Raisins and Pine Nuts
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 376, Total fat 9 g, Saturated fat 2 g, Cholesterol 48 mg, Sodium 429 mg, Total fiber 2 g, Protein 28 g, Carbohydrates 43 g, Potassium 426 mg