Lemony Shrimp Sorghum Risotto
This one-pot risotto features ancient grains, peas, and zesty lemon.
PREP TIME :
1 HOUR 20 MINS
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 cup whole grain sorghum (optional, rinsed and soaked overnight)*
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen peas (no-salt added)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large pan over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook until opaque, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and chop roughly on a cutting board. Set aside.
- If using soaked sorghum, drain and pat dry sorghum using a paper towel. Add sorghum to pan and toast until lightly golden, about 4-6 minutes. Remove toasted sorghum from pan and set aside.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil in the pan over medium heat and add the onion and garlic. Stir and cook until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add toasted sorghum back to pan with onion and garlic and stir around for 1-2 minutes. Add 1 cup broth and stir gently, allowing sorghum to absorb the liquid.
- Once first cup of broth is absorbed, add 3 more cups vegetable broth, cover with lid, and reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 50-60 minutes, stirring periodically, or until broth is almost completely absorbed and the sorghum is tender (if the sorghum is hard, add more broth and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes).
- Add peas, shrimp, pepper and lemon juice, stir, and cook for 4-5 minutes (add more broth if needed).
- Remove from heat. Add basil, cheese and lemon zest and stir. Garnish with a sprinkle of freshly chopped basil on top.
Nutrition (per serving):
290 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 33 g carbohydrate, 22 g protein, 3 g dietary fiber, 310 mg sodium.