Enjoy the crispiness of fried fish with a healthy twist by baking fresh tilapia, coated in crushed walnuts and whole wheat bread crumbs. Walnuts contain high levels of polyphenols, which are phytochemicals that have antioxidant properties.
PREP TIME :
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large egg
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 lb tilapia
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and coat baking dish with 1 tsp olive oil.
- Beat egg in mixing bowl and add lemon zest, remaining olive oil, garlic, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Mix walnuts and bread crumbs in a large bowl.
- Dip fish into egg mixture. Then dredge in crumb-nut mixture, coating both sides well. Place breaded fillets on prepared cooking dish.
- Bake for 17 minutes (or until inside of filet appears opaque) and serve.
Nutrition (per serving):
253 calories, 11 g total fat (2 g. saturated fat),
11 g carbohydrate, 27 g protein, 2 g fiber, 148 mg sodium.