A mushroom lover’s dish that makes a quick and cozy meal at home or an elegant
dish for company.
PREP TIME :
- oz whole-wheat penne pasta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz white mushrooms, rinsed and sliced
- ½ C onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced or pressed (about 2–3 cloves)
- 6 Tbsp dry red wine
- 1 C low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 Tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
- While water heats and pasta cooks, warm olive oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Add pasta, and cook according to package directions for the shortest recommended time, about 8 minutes.
- Chop the mushrooms into bite-sized pieces. Cook the mushrooms in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice onion and mince garlic. Add to mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add wine. Cook and stir to loosen any flavorful browned bits to mix into the sauce. Stir in chicken broth, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Drain pasta. Stir into mushroom mixture. Continue simmering mixture until all moisture is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- Divide into four equal portions (each about 1¼ cups).Top each with 1 tablespoon shredded parmesan cheese.
Tip: Pairs beautifully with a fresh green salad.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 418, Total fat 10 g, Saturated fat 2 g, Cholesterol 6 mg, Sodium 436 mg, Total fiber 4 g, Protein 9 g, Carbohydrates 26 g, Potassium 70 mg.