Use the ripest tomatoes to create a fresh pasta sauce for this dish.
PREP TIME :
- 8 oz whole-wheat thin spaghetti
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 large tomatoes, rinsed, cored, and cubed
- ¼ C fresh basil leaves, rinsed, dried, and cut into ⅛-inch wide slivers
- 3 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese (chunk package), cubed
- 8 pitted black olives, cut into long slivers
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add spaghetti, and cook according to package directions for the shortest recommended time, about 6 minutes.(Whole-wheat pasta tends to fall apart if overcooked.)
- Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water and set aside. Drain spaghetti.
- Add the spaghetti back into the pasta pot. Toss with olive oil and just enough reserved water to coat well.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, and olives. Toss gently until well mixed.
- Divide pasta evenly among four dinner plates (about 2¼ cups each).Serve immediately.
Tip: Try serving with a fresh green salad drizzled with light vinaigrette dressing.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 342, Total fat 10 g, Saturated fat 3 g, Cholesterol 11 mg, Sodium 233 mg, Total fiber 9 g, Protein 13 g, Carbohydrates 52 g, Potassium 416 mg.