Quinoa Risotto Primavera
Quinoa adds protein and fiber and complements the texture of the finely chopped cauliflower. Tossed with baby carrots, green peas and sautéed onion, this dish packs a full serving of veggies in each portion.
PREP TIME :
- 2½ cups cauliflower florets, cut in 1-inch pieces, stems well-trimmed
- 1½ Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped shallot
- 2/3 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 3½ cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced baby carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen baby green peas
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- Place cauliflower in food processor. Pulse until cauliflower resembles crumbled feta, about 15-20 pulses; there should be 2 cups chopped cauliflower to set aside. Use leftover to add to soup or salad.
- In heavy, wide, large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Add shallots and cook until golden, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add quinoa and cook, stirring constantly, until grain makes constant crackling, popping sound, about 5 minutes. Carefully add 2 cups broth, standing back as it will spatter. Cover, reduce heat and simmer quinoa for 10 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, carrots and 1/2 cup hot broth and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add peas and enough broth to keep risotto soupy, about 1/4 cup. Cook 8-10 minutes, or until quinoa is al dente or to your taste and vegetables are tender-crisp, adding broth 1/4 cup at a time, as needed. Risotto is done when liquid is mostly absorbed and mixture is slightly wet, but not soupy.
- Off heat, stir in cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley and serve.
- Leftover risotto keeps for 3 days, covered in refrigerator, and can be served at room temperature as a whole-grain salad.
Nutrition (per serving):
120 calories, 4.5 g total fat (1 g saturated fat),
14 g carbohydrate, 5 g protein, 3 g dietary fiber, 280 mg sodium.