Roasted Vegetable Lasagna
Don’t fret, lasagna lovers. Our runner-up recipe was just as delicious as our winner. It boasts meaty eggplant, fresh zucchini and lycopene-rich tomatoes.
PREP TIME :
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 cups low-sodium tomato sauce
- 3 cups low fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggplants (about 3 lbs.), quartered lengthwise
- 6 medium zucchini (about 3 lbs.)
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 lb. whole-wheat lasagna noodles
- 15 oz. low fat ricotta or low fat cottage cheese (or a combination of both)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan, set aside.
- Slice the eggplant and zucchini in 1/2-inch slices. Layer on two baking sheets and coat both sides of the vegetables with cooling spray.
- Roast for 20 minutes. Toss the vegetables and continue to roast until well browned and soft, about 20 minutes more. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions. Separate the noodles and let them cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together the ricotta and/or cottage cheeses, eggs, Parmesan, nutmeg and garlic powder.
- To assemble: spread a thin layer of sauce over the bottom of the prepared pan. Cover with a layer of pasta (noodle strips slightly overlapping). Spread with one-third of the ricotta mixture.
- Sprinkle one-quarter of the mozzarella over the ricotta. Spoon one-third of the roasted vegetables on top. Top with 1/2 cup of tomato sauce and continue the assembly as directed until you have 4 layers of pasta and 3 layers of filling. Spread the remaining sauce on top and sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake until golden and bubbly, about 15 minutes more. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition (per serving):
360 calories, 11 g total fat (5 g saturated fat), 45 g carbohydrate,
23 g protein, 11 g dietary fiber, 310 mg sodium.