Salmon and Vegetable Oven Kebabs
To celebrate Father’s Day and Men’s Health Week we’re bringing you the great flavor of barbeque without firing up the grill. These savory salmon kabobs are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, an anti-inflammatory fat linked to heart health.
PREP TIME :
- Juice of 4 lemons
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. dried Italian seasoning
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 lb. wild salmon, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 4 small plum tomatoes, cut into quarters or 8 cherry tomatoes
- 4 large whole mushrooms, stems removed, halved
- 1 medium green bell pepper, deseeded, cut into 12 pieces
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut into 8 pieces
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 4 skewers
- If using wooden skewers (in lieu of metal ones), soak them in water for about 30 minutes.
- In large mixing bowl combine juice, oil, garlic, seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix well and divide in half.
- Add salmon and vegetables to half of marinade and gently toss to coat pieces. Cover and marinate for about 30 minutes, occasionally rearranging pieces to ensure even coating.
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Spray large shallow baking dish. Remove skewers from water. Divide fish and vegetable pieces into 4 even portions. Arrange and distribute them evenly on skewers, being careful not to break the pieces.
- Place on baking dish. Brush with remaining marinade not used for marinating raw fish. Broil for about 5-8 minutes, brushing frequently with marinade. Carefully turn over kebabs and continue cooking for an additional 4 minutes, basting frequently until fish is done. Serve.
Nutrition (per serving):
259 calories, 13 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 g carbohydrate, 26 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 60 mg sodium.