Sautéed Mung Beans (Munggo Guisado)
A healthy and satisfying take on this popular dish.
PREP TIME :
- 1 Tbsp corn oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed (or 1 Tbsp minced)
- 1 C chopped white onions
- 1 C chopped tomatoes
- 1 C (4 oz) lean pork, thinly sliced
- 4 C water
- 3½ C precooked mung beans (from 1¾ C dried beans)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 C shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 C frozen leaf spinach (about ⅔ of a 10-oz package)
- In a large skillet, heat the oil, and sauté the garlic until lightly browned.
- Add onions and tomatoes. Sauté until skin begins to curl.
- Add pork, and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add 4 cups water, and simmer pork for about 15 minutes.
- Add the mung beans, and continue to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Add the shrimp and frozen leaf spinach, and cook for 4 minutes or until done.
Tip: To cook dried mung beans: Wash and boil the uncooked mung beans in a large saucepan, in 6 cups of water. Cook until tender, about 1½ to 2 hours. Drain.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 160, Total fat 4 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 35 mg, Sodium 350 mg, Total fiber 8 g, Protein 13 g, Carbohydrates 19 g, Potassium 370 mg.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.