Spaghetti With Turkey Meat Sauce
A heart healthy take on a classic dish.
PREP TIME :
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 lb 99 percent fat- free ground turkey
- 1 can (28 oz) no-salt- added tomatoes, cut up
- 1 C finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 C finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb spaghetti
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Preheat over high heat.
- Add turkey; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Drain fat and discard.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, green pepper, onion, garlic, oregano, and black pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover; simmer for 15 minutes more. (If you prefer a creamier sauce, give sauce a whirl in your blender or food processor.)
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in unsalted water. Drain well.
- Serve sauce over spaghetti.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 330, Total fat 5 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 60 mg, Sodium 280 mg.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.