Sweet and Sour Seashells
Drain the marinade before serving this dish to lower the fat and sodium—but
keep all the great taste.
PREP TIME :
- 1 lb small seashell pasta (9 C cooked)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ¾ C sugar
- ½ C cider vinegar
- ½ C wine vinegar
- ½ C water
- 3 Tbsp prepared mustard
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 jar (2 oz) sliced pimientos
- 2 small cucumbers, rinsed
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 18 leaves lettuce, rinsed and dried
- Cook pasta according to package directions but do not add salt to the cooking water. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again. Stir in oil.
- Transfer to a 4-quart bowl. In blender, place sugar, vinegars, water, prepared mustard, salt, pepper, and pimientos. Process at low speed for 15–20 seconds, or just enough so flecks of pimiento can be seen. Pour over pasta.
- Score cucumber peels with fork tines (optional). Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise, then slice thinly. Add to pasta, along with onions. Toss well.
- Drain, and serve; each serving size is 1 cup pasta on two lettuce leaves.
Tip: Pairs nicely with grilled chicken or shrimp.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 316, Total fat 4 g, Saturated fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 70 mg, Total fiber 4 g, Protein 8 g, Carbohydrates 62 g, Potassium 300 mg.