Three Bean Chili With Chunky Tomatoes
Spice is nice, especially on a chilly night!
PREP TIME :
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 C onion, coarsely chopped
- ½ C celery, rinsed and chopped
- 1 C green bell pepper, rinsed and diced
- 1 can (15½ oz) low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15½ oz) low-sodium red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15½ oz) low-sodium pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (14½ oz each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- In an 8-quart soup or pasta pot, heat the oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add onion. Cook and stir until onion starts to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add celery and green pepper. Cook and stir another 5 minutes, until all vegetables soften.
- Add drained and rinsed beans to pot.
- Stir in tomatoes, cumin, and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10–20 minutes to blend flavors.
- Serve immediately.
- Tip: Delicious with rice or a side of Good-for-You Cornbread.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 443, Total fat 8 g, Saturated fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 331 mg, Total fiber 16 g, Protein 22 g, Carbohydrates 73 g, Potassium 1,411 mg