Tofu Stir Fry With Spicy Sauce
Have all your ingredients cut and ready to go, because when the cooking starts,
things happen really fast!
PREP TIME :
- 1 pkg (16 oz) firm tofu, drained
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground ginger or pumpkin pie spice (or try Chinese five-spice mix)
- 3 Tbsp light teriyaki sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- 1 can (14½ oz) low- sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth, divided
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp canola oil, divided into three 1-tsp portions
- ½ head Chinese (napa) cabbage, rinsed and cut in ½-inch strips (6–8 C)
- 1 C scallions (green onions), rinsed and sliced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced or pressed (about 2–3
- 1 C carrots, peeled, thinly sliced or shredded
- 1 C red bell pepper, rinsed and sliced
- 1 can (8 oz) water chestnuts, sliced
- Slice tofu lengthwise into four pieces. Place on a plate or flat surface covered with three paper towels. Cover with three more layers. Press evenly and gently with a flat plate or cutting board to squeeze out water. Throw away paper towels. Replace with fresh paper towels and press again. Restack the slices and cut into ½-inch wide strips. Place tofu in a bowl just big enough to hold all strips lying on their widest side without overlapping.
- In a small bowl, combine cayenne pepper, ginger (or pumpkin pie spice/Chinese five-spice mix), teriyaki sauce, sesame oil (optional), and ½ cup of the chicken broth. Stir well, and then pour over the tofu. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Combine the remaining chicken broth and the cornstarch. Stir until cornstarch dissolves. Set aside.
- In a large wok or large nonstick pan, heat 1 teaspoon of canola oil until very hot, but not smoking. While the pan heats, drain tofu marinade into cornstarch mixture.
- Place half the tofu slices in the hot pan. Cook just until brown, about 1 minute per side. Remove from pan and set aside. Repeat with 1 teaspoon of oil and remaining tofu.
- Add the last teaspoon of oil to the pan. Stir in half the cabbage, beginning with the stalk end, the scallions, and the garlic. Cook and stir over high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, red pepper, and remaining cabbage. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the water chestnuts and tofu. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture, then add to the pan. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir for 1 minute, until sauce thickens and all ingredients are well mixed and thoroughly coated with sauce. Serve immediately.
- Tip: Delicious with steamed rice or Asian-style noodles (soba or udon).
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 232, Total fat 10 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 289 mg, Total fiber 8 g, Protein 16 g, Carbohydrates 23 g, Potassium 1,504 mg