Tuscan Beans With Tomatoes and Oregano
Dine outside on a warm summer evening with this cool and satisfying salad
PREP TIME :
- 1 can (15½ oz) low- sodium chickpeas (or garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 C cherry tomatoes, rinsed and halved
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh oregano, minced (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt- free seasoning blend
- 4 whole inner leaves of romaine lettuce, rinsed and dried
- In a large salad bowl, combine beans and tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar, oregano, pepper, and salt-free seasoning blend. Using a wire whisk, beat the ingredients until they blend into one thick sauce at the point where the oil and vinegar no longer separate.
- Pour the dressing over the beans and tomatoes, and mix gently to coat.
- Line four salad bowls with one romaine lettuce leaf each.
- Top each leaf with one-fourth of the bean mixture, and serve.
- Tip: Serve with a fresh green salad and crusty bread to soak up the delicious dressing.
- Note: If you can't find beans labeled “low sodium,” compare the Nutrition Facts panels to find the beans with the lowest amount of sodium. Rinsing can help further reduce the sodium level.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 265, Total fat 10 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 116 mg, Total fiber 10 g, Protein 12 g, Carbohydrates 35 g, Potassium 731 mg