Tropical Fruit Compote
Fresh or cooked fruits make a great low-calorie dessert.
PREP TIME :
- ¾ C water
- ½ C sugar
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 piece lemon peel
- ½ tsp rum or vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 pineapple, cored and peeled, cut into 8 slices
- 2 mangoes, peeled and pitted, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 bananas, peeled, cut into 8 diagonal pieces
- Fresh mint leaves (optional)
- In a saucepan combine ¾ cup of water with the sugar, lemon juice, and lemon peel (and rum or vanilla extract if desired). Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and add the fruit. Cook at a very low heat for 5 minutes.
- Pour the syrup into a cup and set aside. Remove the lemon peel and cool the cooked fruit for 2 hours.
- To serve the compote, arrange the fruit in a serving dish and pour a few teaspoons of syrup over the fruit. Garnish with mint leaves (if desired).
Tip: Serve with homemade Sour Cream Substitute.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 148, Total fat 0 less than 1 g, Saturated fat 0 less than 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 3 mg, Calcium 15 mg, Iron 0 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.