A tart and tangy fruit dessert that’s just perfect on a cold winter night.
PREP TIME :
- ½ C sugar
- 3 Tbsp all- purpose flour
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- ¾ tsp lemon juice
- 5 C apples, unpeeled, sliced
- 1 C cranberries
- ⅔ C rolled oats
- ⅓ C brown sugar, packed
- ¼ C whole- wheat flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp soft margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- To prepare the filling: In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, flour, and lemon peel. Mix well. Add the lemon juice, apples, and cranberries; stir to mix. Spoon into a 6-cup baking dish.
- To prepare the topping: In a small bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, whole-wheat flour, and cinnamon. Add the melted margarine; stir to mix.
- Sprinkle the topping over the filling. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly and the top is brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tip: To make a Summer Crisp variation, prepare as directed, substituting 4 C fresh or unsweetened frozen (thawed) peaches and 3 C fresh or unsweetened frozen (un-thawed) blueberries for the apples and cranberries.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 284, Total fat 6 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 56 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.