Whole Wheat Bow Tie Pasta With Puttanesca Sauce
Capers, olives, and anchovy paste will make this quick, but rich, sauce a
PREP TIME :
- 8 oz whole-wheat bow tie pasta (farfalle)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1½ C onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced or pressed (about 5 cloves)
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp anchovy paste (optional)
- 1 can (35 oz) no-salt- added whole peeled tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp capers
- 8 pitted black olives, each sliced lengthwise into 6 pieces
- 4 fresh parsley sprigs, rinsed and dried (optional)
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add pasta, and cook according to package directions for the shortest recommended time, about 10 minutes.Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion.
- Cook and stir for 5 minutes, until onion begins to soften.
- Add garlic, cayenne pepper, and anchovy paste. Cook and stir another 5 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, capers, and olives. Cook and stir until heated through.
- Divide pasta among four dinner plates (about 1½ cups each). Spoon sauce over pasta. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Tip: Excellent with Grilled Romaine Lettuce With Caesar Dressing and pan-grilled shrimp or chicken.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 342, Total fat 8 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 9 mg, Sodium 455 mg, Total fiber 12 g, Protein 11 g, Carbohydrates 62 g, Potassium 537 mg.