Fish Simmered With Ginger and Tomatoes (Pesang Isda)
A delicate ginger-flavored fish soup with green leafy vegetables.
PREP TIME :
- ¼ C fresh ginger, thinly sliced (about 2 inches long)
- 1 C chopped tomatoes
- 1 C white or yellow onions, thinly sliced (1 medium onion)
- 4 C water
- 2 lb fleshy fish (cod fillet, halibut steak, or trout)
- 2 C pechay (bok choy) stems and leaves, cut up separately
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 C green onions, cut into pieces 2 to 3 inches long (about 1 large bunch)
- In a 4-quart saucepan, simmer sliced ginger, tomatoes, and onions in 4 cups of water over medium heat until onions are tender (about 7 to 8 minutes).
- Reduce heat to low, add fish, and poach gently until almost done (about 3 to 4 minutes).
- Add pechay stems, salt, and black pepper. Cook for 1 minute; then add pechay leaves and green onions. Cook another 30 seconds.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 160, Total fat 2 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 80 mg, Sodium 340 mg, Total fiber 2 g, Protein 30 g, Carbohydrate 6 g, Potassium 630 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.