Turkey Club Burger
Lighten up your traditional hamburger with lean ground turkey—less saturated
fat, without less flavor
PREP TIME :
For turkey burger:
- 12 oz 99 percent fat-free ground turkey
- ½ C scallions (green onions), rinsed and sliced
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 oz spinach or arugula, rinsed and dried
- 4 oz portabella mushroom, rinsed, grilled or broiled, and sliced (optional)
- 4 whole- wheat hamburger buns
- Preheat oven broiler on high temperature (with the rack 3 inches from heat source) or grill on medium-high heat.
- To prepare burgers, combine ground turkey, scallions, pepper, and egg, and mix well. Form into ½- to ¾-inch thick patties, and coat each lightly with olive oil.
- Broil or grill burgers for about 7–9 minutes on each side (to a minimum internal temperature of 160 °F).
- Combine mayonnaise and mustard to make a spread.
- Assemble ¾ tablespoon spread, 1 ounce spinach or arugula, several slices of grilled portabella mushroom (optional), and one burger on each bun.
Tip: Try it with a side of Grilled Romaine Lettuce With Caesar Dressing.
Hint: To grill Portabella mushrooms, scrape off the gills from underneath the mushroom caps. Lightly coat with olive oil, and grill or broil for 2–3 minutes on each side or until tender. Slice and set aside until burgers are ready.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 299, Total fat 11 g, Saturated fat 2 g, Cholesterol 89 mg, Sodium 393 mg, Total fiber 5 g, Protein 29 g, Carbohydrates 26 g, Potassium 424 mg