Garden Turkey Meatloaf
This classic family favorite is made healthier with lean ground turkey and colorful
PREP TIME :
- 2 C assorted vegetables, chopped—such as mushrooms, zucchini, red bell peppers, or spinach (Leftover Friendly)
- 12 oz 99 percent lean ground turkey
- ½ C whole-wheat breadcrumbs (or substitute regular breadcrumbs)
- ¼ C fat-free evaporated milk*
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp fresh chives, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 ºF.
- Steam or lightly sauté the assortment of vegetables.
- Combine vegetables and the rest of the meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray, and spread meatloaf mixture evenly in the pan.
- Combine all ingredients for glaze. Brush glaze on top of the meatloaf.
- Bake meatloaf in the oven for 45–50 minutes (to a minimum internal temperature of 165 ºF).
- Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into eight even slices.
- Serve two slices on each plate.
- Tip: For picky eaters, try chopping vegetables in a food processor to make them smaller .
- * Evaporated milk can be kept tightly sealed in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Search the Keep the Beat™: Deliciously Healthy Eating Web site for other recipes using evaporated milk.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 180, Total fat 2 g, Saturated fat 0 g, Cholesterol 34 mg, Sodium 368 mg, Total fiber 2 g, Protein 25 g, Carbohydrates 17 g, Potassium 406 mg, Vitamin A 50%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 10%, Iron 15%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.