Mock Southern Sweet Potato Pie
There’s nothing fake about the flavor in this heart healthy treat.
PREP TIME :
- 1 ¼ C flour
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ⅓ C low-fat (1 percent) or fat-free milk
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ C white sugar
- ¼ C brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ C fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 C sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prepare the crust: Combine flour and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add milk and oil, and stir with a fork until well mixed. Form pastry into a smooth ball with your hands.
- Roll the ball between two 12-inch squares of wax paper, using short, brisk strokes, until pastry reaches edges of paper. Peel off top paper and invert crust into a pie plate.
- Prepare the filling: Combine sugars, salt, nutmeg, and eggs in a mixing bowl. Add evaporated milk and vanilla. Stir.
- Add sweet potatoes and mix well.
- Assemble the pie: Pour mixture into pie shell.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Cool and cut into 16 slices.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 147, Total fat 3 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 40 mg, Sodium 98 mg, Total fiber 2 g, Protein 4 g, Carbohydrates 27 g, Potassium 293 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.