A heart healthy, easy-to-prepare version of this holiday classic.
PREP TIME :
For the pie crust:
- 1 C quick-cooking oats
- ¼ C whole wheat flour
- ¼ C ground almonds
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp water
For the pie filling:
- ¼ C packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tsp vanilla
- 1 C canned pumpkin
- ⅔ C fat-free evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- Make the pie crust: Mix oats, flour, almonds, sugar, and salt together in small mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl/measuring cup, blend the oil and water together with a fork or small wire whisk, until emulsified (fully blended).
- Add the oil mixture to the dry ingredients, and mix well. If needed, add a small amount of water to hold the dough together.
- Work the dough into a disk shape, and roll on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle.
- Press into a 9-inch pie pan and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until light brown.
- Turn down oven to 350 °F.
- Make the filling: Mix sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together in a bowl.
- Add eggs and vanilla, and mix to blend ingredients.
- Add pumpkin and milk, and stir to combine.
- Pour into prepared pie shell. Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 177, Total fat 8 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 24 mg, Sodium 153 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.