Red Hot Fusilli
Lively, low-fat, and cholesterol-free—the perfect combination!
PREP TIME :
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 C ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped (or 1 tsp dried
- 1 Tbsp oregano leaves, crushed (or 1 tsp dried
- ¼ tsp salt Ground red pepper or cayenne pepper, to taste
- ½ lb cooked chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch
- 8 oz uncooked fusilli pasta
- ¼ C freshly minced parsley
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan. Sauté garlic until golden.
- Add tomatoes and spices (except parsley). Cook, uncovered, over low heat for 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken, and continue cooking for 15 minutes, until chicken is heated through and sauce is thick.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, cook pasta in unsalted water just until firm.
- To serve, spoon sauce over pasta, and sprinkle with coarsely chopped parsley. Serve hot as a main dish and cold for the next day’s lunch.
Vegetarian option: Omit the chicken for a satisfying vegetarian pasta dish. Nutrient info would be: calories, 304; total fat, 5 g; saturated fat, less than 1 g; cholesterol, 0 mg; and sodium, 285 mg.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 398, Total fat 7 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 44 mg, Sodium 325 mg.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.